Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Two-command DVD Playback & Another Semester Done

Where was this article half a year ago when I was first fumbling my way through DVD playback on Ubuntu? I spent a ghastly 3 hours getting a simple DVD disc to play. For which, I have to blame the fact that the DVD format is proprietary, and not included in Ubuntu for that reason. Damn you, propriety!!

Anyways, here's my experience in my fresh install of Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04). Type these two commands in your friendly terminal:

sudo apt-get install totem-xine libxine1-ffmpeg libdvdread3
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

Then insert a DVD, and it should play. However, my default open application is Totem, and it struggled to play with some lag on my ancient laptop. In response, I simply opened VLC (if you don't have it installed under your Sound and Video apps: sudo apt-get install vlc) and did a File > Open Disc, checked the 'DVD' box, and away Finding Nemo went.

Boo propriety!! Hooray Ubuntu!

Over the hump?
Another semester at Georgia Institute of Technology (Gatech) is done as of last Friday. Here's a saying that I've grown more and more accustomed to: "Georgia Tech — where your best hasn't been good enough since [forever]."

This last semester will bring the tally to six total semesters, and three years spent in college. And what wisdom do I possibly have to pass on? After three years, what all-encompassing nugget of knowledge can I give you? Wait. Wtf? Don't look to me for that kind of garbage. I'm not going to be responsible for the messed up shit swimming around in your head.

No comments: